Pasatiempo

Billy Metz, a Rollins College student and an English teaching assistant at Fe y Alegria describes his growth in understanding the differences between his western perception of hobbies and his students' understanding of pastimes, in his blog Pasatiempo -

Pasatiempo. 

This word in Spanish loosely translates in English to hobby, pastime, and or amusement. 


One of the units Lucia and I have covered is typical things that people do to literally pass time. Some of the kids have expressed confusion as to why this is so defined and how in the United States there are strict parameters around something we call a hobby. Something that gives us joy (which I think is more common) or an amusement that appeals to society or the resume.


What I am trying to articulate is that when people “pass time" in Andahuaylas and in Peru there is not a definitive thing that they do or must do to be “productive.” When asking the kids to elaborate on their hobbies in my confusing spanglish, it seemed that they have a multitude and were not limited to one hobby. The consistent hobby for the boys is to play soccer and for the girls it is to listen to music or read. Still after urging them to expand on activities or interests that they do daily to pass time or find amusement, it was a foreign concept to them.


I got this explanation from one kid - loosely translated into English, “There could be multiple things we do to pass time, we don't know what the situation is. So why would we do the same things?”


This was an epiphany for me. Connecting this clarification to what I have experienced in the community and culture, I came to understand that the kids are right! Once again I was the one who was learning from them. The people here don't really have strict hobbies - to them what they do to pass time is fluid and completely dependent on the situation. Sometimes when traveling it's just talking or making jokes to find amusement. Other days it is sharing a long communal meal and solving the world's problems over potatoes. Perhaps on the weekends they meet at the town square and dance, sing, listen to music together, and or play soccer or run around and because they do that more than not they consequently understand that as a “hobby”. 


Pasatiempo is now one of my favorite words and is redefining how I pass time. Who knew this word would have such a profound impact on me and what it means to be a son, a brother, a friend, a member of a cast and crew, a leader, and a warrior for Christ?


I think in the society and culture I live in in the United States, too many times the hobbies I have come to adopt and explore are ways to benefit only me and therefore drive me into solitude. 


How people past time in Peru is almost always in communion with one another and or finding ways to share experiences and help eachother grow. I think back to when I was a kid, all my hobbies or ways to “pass time” were WITH PEOPLE. When exploring my creative side and painting and or acting when I was a child I was constantly with people who were along the ride or helping me explore that avenue of my soul. I look at a lot of times I have been lost and I found that what brought me back to reality was being present with people, whether that was lacrosse practice, watching a movie with the boys, rehearsals, going out in the town, playing pickleball, catching up with friends, or talking to my family. Each and every one of these are activities that don't necessarily benefit me but they enrich my life beyond measure because they are in communion with people. They are also in communion with the present, which is what we so often want to get out of - to get to the next thing or to the better experience ahead. 


We are living in a perfect symphony together, living the best present we will ever get - THE PRESENT. THE NOW.


As I depart this community, I will miss the kids, the teachers, the culture, my team and the community. They have given me the best present ever - learning how to be present in this crazy world we live in. How can I ever repay them? 



I think, selfishly, by using this gift to the best of my ability one step at a time.







Comments