Embracing Silence in Quispicanchi

 


Nathan Spencer is a rising junior at the University of Texas at Austin spending his days at the San Antonio School in Huaro, Quispicanchi. As a native English speaker, the language barrier is allowing him to slow down and listen - embracing moments of silence. 


Spending time in silence is unusual for me. 


Normally, I am busy all day and often overstretch myself to exhaustion. Leadership roles at the University of Texas, team projects, and a social life all require me to talk constantly. In fact, I often find myself talking more than necessary, simply to avoid awkward moments of silence. Coming to Quispicanchi for two months has allowed me to take time to slow down, listen to the people I am accompanying, and spend more time in the present. 

 

One of my first tasks at the San Antonio School was working on the alphabet and words with Hairo, a deaf student. I would say the letter of the alphabet or a word, and he would repeat it back to me. Unknowing to him, we were both on the same level when it came to speaking Spanish. Rather than getting frustrated with me, Hairo and I would laugh over the teacher telling me that I was pronouncing something wrong or him struggling with a word. Enjoying the company of one another and using nonverbal cues made a new friend faster than any combination of words could. 

 

After working at the San Antonio school for a few weeks, my teammates and I had the opportunity to sit down with the principal, enjoy cheesy bread, and get to know each other. Having a language barrier allowed me to listen to the stories and enjoy learning more about my friends rather than focusing on what I should say next. When asked questions, I would speak concisely about myself and return the conversation to the school, community, and recommendations for our upcoming trip to Cusco.  

 

Living in a fast-paced world often leads to unnecessary stress and prevents me from being in the present.


What I have found is that I have the opportunity to spend time in a small town with a new culture and this language barrier, while at times can be frustrating, has allowed me to appreciate the beauty of listening, slowing down, and silence. It has been incredible to experience the warmth and presence of the community. Everyone in Quispicanchi welcomes you with a “buen día” and wants to spend time with you. In the United States, my interactions typically revolve around my close friends and classmates. In Quispicanchi, I meet new people daily and engage in numerous activities such as shucking corn, playing volleyball in the afterschool programs, brainstorming marketing ideas for our social enterprise, or cooking our weekly community dinners. 

 

Silence has extended beyond the working setting - I have been finding it in nature as well.  I have spent most of my life in Dallas and Austin. Being in the mountains of Peru has allowed me to hike nearly every morning, enjoying the beautiful views and sounds of nature. These moments of silence have given me the opportunity to clear my head and think about current project tasks, how my friends are doing back in the US, and reflecting on personal goals. 

 

Silence has taught me that I can learn more about others and myself by simply pushing away my ego and self-interest in favor of creating meaningful connections with those around me. Speaking is important when connecting with someone, but I have learned that presence matters far more. Whether I am in the Plaza Market using my broken Spanish to converse with the clerk, rehearsing a dance routine with the San Antonio kids, or enjoying a peaceful early morning hike, I intend to embrace silence and focus on being fully present with the community.










Comments

Popular Posts