Thank You, San Antonio

Sofia Meador-Safont documents her halfway point through a summer in Quispicanchi with a few lessons learned and an ode to her work site, the San Antonio school - 

This weekend was one of the most surreal experiences of my life. I spent all day Friday dancing alongside my fellow volunteers and our Peruvian friends in the Plaza de Armas in Cusco for the celebration of Dia del Cusco. Me, of all people, got to dance for 15 minutes in front of nearly 3000 people, dressed up in traditional Peruvian costumes, sun beaming down, music playing, people clapping, cheering, and there I was with the biggest smile on my face. But on the bus ride home from the festival-filled weekend in Cusco, I was hit with the realization that I am halfway through my time in Peru.

As much as I could go on about all of the unique Peruvian traditions and experiences, it is most important for me to shine a light on the one thing that has had the biggest impact on my growth during my time here, the CEBE San Antonio school.

---

As an assistant at San Antonio, I have learned distinctive lessons and come to appreciate the many qualities of all of the teaching staff and kids during the past month. Firstly, the CEBE San Antonio school is the only special needs school in the Quispicanchi region, it serves around 30 students and their families, with a range of physical, cognitive, and developmental disabilities. Sadly, it is extremely difficult for many of these students just to make it to school every day. Whether it be because of financial reasons, parents having trouble getting their children to or from school, or the physical challenges leaving some of the children unable to walk, attendance is random and sparse. Because this school faces so much adversity, it has learned to embody impactful qualities that should be applied and practiced everyday to all students. 


Patience is a characteristic that I have been known to lack, but I have found it to be the foundation of working with the children of CEBE San Antonio. 


Seeing the teachers navigate class and dance practice with such calm when kids are not listening or having to repeat directions multiple times has changed my attitude and outlook in times of limited patience. One day I was helping Profe Marta cut paper in order for the kids to make the Peruvian flag. As I sat cutting strips of red and white, Marta started teaching the kids the lyrics of a song called “Banderita '' that they would later perform for the upcoming school anniversary. While some would be bothered by the repetition - with a kind smile, she stood there with the utmost patience and kind heartedness as the kids messed up the lyrics or sang off tune, and time and time again she reminded them how it was supposed to sound. I’m confident that “Banderita” will be forever etched into my brain after the number of times we listened to it. 


Another quality this school does a wonderful job of upholding is hard work. During my time at CEBE I have learned some of the history of the school and what it takes to run a school like this one in a place like this.


 Simply put, it is not easy. 


Profe Luz is the director of CEBE San Antonio, and she has done the most wonderful job bringing to light the injustices they as a school face and the individuals face. Starting an institution such as CEBE is extremely difficult in Peru due to the lack of resources, location, lack of funding, and overall lack of recognition. But Profe Luz has done an amazing job at getting the recognition this school deserves. She has not only fostered a good school environment where kids can come to learn both life skills and academic skills, but she extends her love and determination directly to some students' homes. The teachers organize home visits to see students who are unable to make it to school regularly, oftentimes finding students living in poor conditions. I have seen first hand all of these teachers put in ample time and work for these kids in order to help them become self-sufficient and happier people.


Lastly I thank the San Antonio school for changing my definition of normal. It is easy to place people with disabilities apart from the rest, but when I show up to school everyday, all I see these kids do is play with each other, dance for hours, and love fully. They do this just the same as “normal” kids do- perhaps even more so. There is so much love in each of these kid’s hearts and they have truly been the biggest blessing in changing my outlook and way of thinking. This school has shown me the highs and lows of being involved in a school in rural Peru, and their determination continues to surprise me in how impactful it is to the people it is serving.






Comments

Popular Posts